6/9/14

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern Review

 
 Amy has had Cerebral Palsy all of her life. She cannot walk without a walker, she cannot talk without a computerized voice box, and she cannot fully control her facial expressions. Matthew has developed a severe case of obsessive-compulsive disorder that has become harder and harder to hide. When Amy decides to hire student aids to help her during her senior year at Coral Hills High School she begs Matthew to sign up, and they are thrust into each other’s lives. As the school year goes on, they begin to grow closer and a special friendship grows into something neither of them had ever imagined. One thing is certain, Amy and Matthew need each other, whether they realize it or not.

    This book left me speechless, and I was left wanting more of Amy and Matthew’s story. It is so rare to find a book where the main character has a disability and this book blew me away. Say What You Will teaches you that a person is not defined by their disability. It also teaches you that anyone can be happy, that they can love, and they can  live even though they have some kind of disability. What I loved about this book was the fact that it is not just a book about disabilities, it is a book about finding love in unexpected places. As I read, I often forgot that Amy had Cerebral Palsy because the story never really focuses on that. Cammie focuses on Amy falling in love, and learning about the world around her, not the fact that she has Cerebral Palsy. I think the beautiful thing about this book is that it teaches us not to treat people with disabilities any different because they know they are different, and they just want someone to be real with them like Matthew was with Amy. I admire Amy because she does not let her disability stop her from living and loving. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Cammie for writing this beautiful and inspiring book. It truly is a book to change your view on things. You all NEED to read it; you will not regret it. I gave it five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment